Saturday, April 9, 2011

WARNING: Your Towels are Not Safe!

I have been going to the gym three times a week with a friend of mine for the last few months. It's a lot of fun, and I really look forward to going. We usually go on Saturdays, so today we met and exercised for a few hours. Normally, we spend some time jogging on the treadmills or elliptical machine, then we lap swim. We did our usual routine today and after we were done swimming, I pulled my gym bag out of my locker and set it on the bench (like I always do) and left it there while I took a shower (like I always do). Now, I know what you're thinking, "Hello, you shouldn't leave any of your stuff out and unattended at the gym, even if it's only for a few minutes." Yes, you're right. I guess I have been far too trusting of my fellow man (or women, in this case).

Anyway, before we left for the shower, I distinctly remember seeing my towel sitting on top of my clothes inside my gym bag. I remember because I debated on whether or not I should take it in the shower with me, and I decided against it. After my friend and I were done showering, we walked back to the lockers to dry off and change and my towel was nowhere to be found. At first I thought I did take it in the shower with me. No, not there. Then I thought, maybe it fell out onto the floor. Nope, not there either. Then I knew: someone stole my towel. They had to have. Then I panicked a little and checked my bag again. Wallet, still there; keys, still there; phone; still there (though I have no idea why someone would go through the trouble of stealing my phone; it really wouldn't be worth it). It was so weird. Only my towel was missing.

I decided to walk out to the pool to see if maybe I could see it, but it's Saturday and the pool is busy and my towel wasn't anything special or unique, just a plain old tan colored towel. I saw a couple possibilities, but there's no way to know for sure if any of them were mine. It's just a towel, so it's really no big deal, but I was dumbfounded that someone would just take it. It wasn't like it was even sitting on the bench and someone mistook it for theirs. It was still in my gym bag. I also know for a fact that there wasn't a giant, flashing arrow pointing to my bag that said, "Help Yourself."

I guess I have learned my lesson the hard way, and I hope that person who took my towel enjoys it. (I would have gladly given it to them if only they asked.) I am glad that it was only the towel and nothing else, but I'm still really confused over the whole situation. So weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment