Thursday, September 6, 2012

Boston/New York Trip 2012 (Part 2)

After Niagara, it was time to head back to Wrentham. Yep, 7-hour car trip. Abi was such a trooper. We got home nice and late and the next morning we were up at the crack of 10:00 to drive up to the beach to play.

Horseneck Beach- Westport, MA

We spent the day at Horseneck Beach. Kevin and I both loved the beach, but I think Abi had the most fun.







Abi liked the water...



...sort of.  She definitely preferred to pick up rocks from the sand, walk them over to the water, toss them in, then go back to the sand and do it all over again.






She started out with small rocks...


...then decided to go a little bigger.


Kevin and I took turns swimming while Abi played on the beach.




I even swam out to this rock.  It was covered in slimy kelp (or something like that) and it felt really weird, so I decided not to climb on top like Kevin said he wanted me to.


Kevin was obsessed with these little shorebirds.  They were pretty cute.


I think we could have spent our whole vacation at the beach (minus the rainy days of course), but we had lots more to see and do.  Next stop: Salem!

Salem, MA

Salem, as I’m sure you know is most famous for its “witchy” history (seriously, if I ever run out of pickled bat wing and dragon tongues, I’ll know where to go), but back in the day, it was a big shipping port, so there’s a lot of nautical and “regular” history as well. Since we had Abi with us, and since she’s only three (and since she’s a big giant scared-y cat) we opted to do the history rather than the witchy stuff. (Kevin and I will have to go back and do that by ourselves)

The red line painted on the ground is a walking tour of the town.  You just follow the red line to see all the sights.
Custom House


Friendship of Salem






Town Hall




The author Nathaniel Hawthorne was from Salem and they have the house he grew up in and the house that the book The House of Seven Gables (written by Hawthorne) was named after.  Both of which we took a tour of and were very interesting.



The House of Seven Gables



We had a blast in Salem. The town is so fun and we even ate some good seafood while we were there (hard to find in Utah). I’m totally in love with sea scallops and lobster.

No comments:

Post a Comment