Thursday, September 6, 2012

Boston/New York Trip 2012 (Part 1)

Kevin and I decided this year that we needed to take a family vacation. We decided to head back east again because 1- Kevin’s Aunt Roseanne and Uncle Kenny live there, so we had a place to stay, and 2-we still haven’t seen a fraction of what there is to see. Our last trip out there, we didn’t plan very well so, while we did get to see and do some fun stuff, we probably could have done more if we had planned better.

This time we definitely planned better. We even rented a car so we weren’t a “transportation-al” burden on Kevin’s family and we could come and go as we pleased. It was actually our first time renting a car, but I think from now on it’ll pretty much be a staple for all of our long-distance traveling.

Our rental- it was perfect for us!
Palmyra, NY

Roseanne and Kenny live in Wrentham, MA which is located in the southeastern edge of the state. In fact, it’s pretty much as close as you can get to Rhode Island without actually being in Rhode Island. The first thing on our list of things to do was to drive to Palmyra, NY, see the sights there, then drive to Buffalo, stay the night in a hotel, then spend a day at Niagara Falls.

The drive from Wrentham to Palmyra is kind of a long one (6-6 1/2 hours, depending on traffic) and although our little Abi is only three, and she doesn’t like to sit in the car for very long, she did great and either slept or kept herself busy with games and movies. The occasional stop for gas and food helped as well. I was really grateful that we didn’t have an unhappy preschooler the whole drive out.

Our first stop was Hill Cumorah.

The trail up to the top of Hill Cumorah



Hill Cumorah Monument





View from the top

Next, we visited the Palmyra, NY Temple. I can remember going to this temple’s dedication when I was in High School and how significant it was for the Church’s history, so to actually be there and walk around the temple grounds was really cool.






After that, we went to the Joseph Smith family farm and the Sacred Grove.


Smith log house

Anyone home?


Smith frame house



The temple peeking out through the trees.
 I had heard that the Sacred Grove was really quiet and that you could feel the Spirit really strong inside, but I think it’s something that has to be experienced first-hand to truly understand. There are lots of trails to walk and places you can sit and just ponder things in the quiet shade of the trees. Also, I know I saw people walk inside the Grove before us, but the entire time we were inside, I never saw or heard anyone else, making it that much more peaceful and intimate for our family.







Abi got a little tired from all the walking


So beautiful!

Next we drove into the town of Palmyra (cutest little town ever!) and saw where the first 5,000 copies of the Book of Mormon were printed.


E.B. Grandin's bookstore


First edition copy of the Book of Mormon

Printing Room

The floorboards in here are all original. Even the original ink stains are still there!


Another first edition copy of the Book of Mormon
 


 Niagara Falls, NY

Then we headed over to Buffalo (another hour drive), checked into our hotel, and then drove to Niagara Falls, so we could see what the falls look like at night (at the suggestion of Uncle Kenny). It was pretty cool.
At night, they shine changing colored lights on the falls to give it a rainbow-y look


 We spent the majority of the next day walking around Niagara Falls. Of course I’ve heard of Niagara Falls, but I didn’t really know anything about it. It’s really massive. The amount of water that comes off the falls is extraordinary and it’s so beautiful. There are a couple of things you can pay to do to see the falls a little closer, (ride the Maid of the Mist ferry, or walk down through the Cave of the Winds) but since Abi was with us (and being that close to the roaring water might be a little scary), we decided to just see what we could see from the viewing points, which was plenty.



Check out how much water flows over the falls every second.  Incredible!





These trips take a lot of walking.  There were a couple of times I wished I could take a nap in the stroller.

Like I said, I didn’t know anything about Niagara Falls before going, so when we arrived, it wasn’t exactly what I expected, meaning, I think I expected to see what I’m used to seeing at National Parks in Utah(Niagara Falls is a State Park, I know, but I can still make the comparison). I expected the main attraction being the natural wonder-whatever it might be- with some roads and trails to get around; maybe some areas to camp and a visitor’s center/gift shop or two. Not quite the case at Niagara Falls. There is this magnificent natural phenomenon surrounded by casinos and tacky attractions for tourists.  Anyway, although it wasn’t as I imagined, it was still beautiful and we had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment